At Summercourt Academy, Art, Design, Music and Drama are interwoven through our Curriculum and form an intrinsic part of our termly projects.
The arts give children a myriad of skills through which they can express and communicate feelings that might not otherwise be articulated. From their earliest experiences in school children learn about the world and their place within it through responses to music, drama and the visual arts. We consciously enrich our curriculum with real arts experiences and ensure that they are given the arts skills to express mood, feelings, sense of self and self-worth.
We recognise that the arts are often the vehicle through which our most vulnerable children express themselves; through tearful responses to orchestral music, through drawings or drama. The arts give all children a greater sense of their own ability to create something of imagination – something that cannot be marked right or wrong but something that just is and is celebrated for being just that.
During their time at Summercourt Academy our children will develop an awareness of the visual elements, colour, media and artistic perception. They will learn to appreciate that the world may be viewed differently and that everyone’s work is unique and worthy. Through this arts and experience-rich approach to learning our children come to believe in their own ability to create work of beauty. The arts, quite simply, enable all children to create, to grow and flourish through imagination.
We aim to ensure that all children experience and develop knowledge and skills in a range of art forms under the broad headings of:
- Literature - poetry, fiction, drama and storytelling
- Performing Arts - music, dance, drama and storytelling
- Visual Arts - craft, design, painting, sculpture, textiles and printmaking
- Arts expressed through the use of multi-media - photography and digital arts
The National Curriculum for Art and Design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences in a sketchbook (KS2)
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.